Tuesday 5 April 2016

Little Gull...

Our annual holiday to the Isle-of-Wight started last Friday and is very much dedicated to spending family time together. That said, I'm always on the lookout for wildlife, I just can't help myself! Yesterday we took Jacob and his cousin to the swimming pool in Ryde, a place where I traditionally get a bit of time to myself to check the beach front for Med gulls. There were three on the receding tide, including this distant 1st Winter bird.

1st Winter Mediterranean Gull, Ryde I-O-W
But the best was yet to come. The boating lake, which is right next to the swimming pool is always checked for Meds too, but a quick scan soon picked up a 1st Winter Little Gull, which was picking on the Black-headed Gulls and showing very well indeed - probably the best views I've ever had, as close as 10 ft at times!

1st Winter Little Gull: R. Harris
1st Winter Little Gull: R. Harris
1st Winter Little Gull: R. Harris
1st Winter Little Gull: R. Harris
1st Winter Little Gull: R. Harris
1st Winter Little Gull: R. Harris

The light wasn't always great but it was so close I couldn't fail to take a few decent shots of it. Always lovely birds to see.

Today I had my first swallow of the year and I also added another adder to my holidays list plus a Sandwich Tern at Shanklin.

No comments:

Post a Comment