Friday 14 February 2014

Rarity at the res...

This weather had to deliver something to Chard res LNR and it did. Last night Dave Helliar found an adult kittiwake in the North-east corner near the reed beds and Andy Grinter managed to get a record shot of it before the light got too poor to do so...

Kittiwake - live, Chard res: Andy Grinter
This a mega for Chard res, the last record way back in 1997 and only a couple of previous records prior to that!  Unfortunately I didn't get to see it as I was otherwise engaged helping raise some money for Jacob's school (of all the evenings!). However I did drop by this morning and found the bird dead on the shoreline - Dave had mentioned it didn't look at all well.

Same bird, not looking at all chipper :-(
Personally I think it must have realised where it had landed and then drowned itself...I'd probably do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment